The first step to solving proportions is cross multiplying. For example, we are told to solve the proportion 13/3 = x/9. We cross multiply 13 •9 and 3 • x. Remember, the equal sign does not go away, so don't forget about it! The equation is now 3x = 117. We need to isolate the variable so we do 3x ÷ 3, which is x, and 117 ÷ 3, which equals 39. We now know that x = 39.
Practice solving proportions by playing fun games
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades